James J



About the page:

Over the years while working, I typically end up figuring out some really neat stuff. Whether it be writing a new tool, or fixing a bug, if I solve it once the return on my time is less than if I share it with world.  

This is my attempt at making some of that knowledge available. I am by no means a web guy, so bear with me while I work my way through it.

History of things:

I have been through quite a few CMS' over the years. I started with Drupal, then a few years later wanted something with more flexibility. Something that let me dev a bit more on it.

I went with NucleusCMS. I modded the ever living hell out of it. It was honestly a really cool setup. Then a few Security Vulnerabilities popped up. That meant upgrading and breaking everything I changed. So I again set out for something that fit a new criteria.


  • I needed something that would stay secure, or at least be updatable.
  • I also added portability to the list after digging through tables to pull out my entries/dates/user/etc in a coherent fashion.

Pelican fit the ticket. Pelican was something I was not used to. It is a static site generator. In other words, you give it the content, and a theme. It processes them together and spits out flat HTML. The appeal is… good luck hacking my flat HTML. Even years later it still works just as well as the day I installed it. The only major downside… the themes are all awful.


So after a few years running Pelican with a hideous theme, I set off yet again with an even longer list of must-haves.


  • Secure/updatable(even after being modded)
  • Portable -> Easy to migrate
  • decent themes and larger userbase


It took some searching, but I think I finally settled on Jekyll. I’ve become quite the ruby fan after a whole slew of chef projects. So Jekyll being extensible and written in ruby tickles my fancy. It also has a heck of a lot of themes to use as a starting point. Jekyll, like Pelican, is a static site generator. So you get the inherent safety of flat HTML, and migrating was as easy as converting RST to Markdown.